It was challenging to find a lot of info on Chelsea, so if any of you have anything in addition to what I have in this post, please share it with me. I have really enjoyed learning the backstories to the cities and towns in our metro-B’ham area.
- Mayor – Earl Niven
- Website: www.cityofchelsea.com
- Incorporated in March 1996. (I could find absolutely nothing on the history of how the city was founded.)
- Ranked #1 city for families for the whole state of Alabama (couldn’t find out what source or what year)
- Named after a district in London, England
- Pop in 1996, 906. Population in 2010 – 10,000.
- On Feb. 12 of this year, Chelsea Middle School made headlines as a gunman briefly held some girls hostage in the locker room. No one was harmed in the incident, and the man was arrested.
I love God’s Sovereignty. I had just had someone share this passage with me for a prayer event they have planned this week, and it seems very fitting here.
II Thess. 3:1-5 – “Finally, brethren, pray for us that the word of the Lord will spread rapidly and be glorified, just as it did also with you; and that we will be rescued from perverse and evil men; for not all have faith. But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one. We have confidence in the Lord concerning you, that you are doing and will continue to do what we command. May the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the steadfastness of Christ.”
Father, we pray that Your Word would spread rapidly through the city of Chelsea, and that it would be glorified, as Your people live it out in their city. May Your Word be the standard for justice, wisdom and knowledge in their government. May Your Word be used to dispel the works of the enemy, and to rescue the innocent from perverse and evil men. We praise You, Lord, for Your protection of the students on Feb. 12, from evil. Thank You for displaying Your faithfulness in such way that is easy to see and understand, so that we can cling to it when it doesn’t seem so easy and clear.
We pray that You would direct the hearts of everyone who lives, works and plays in the city of Chelsea into Your love and into Christ’s unchanging and everlasting faithfulness. Draw them to You as to springs of water in a dry and weary land.
We pray this in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.
How is the Lord leading you to pray? or do you have more history about Chelsea that you could share with us? Thanks.